Monday, October 17, 2016

Nailed It

I was so excited to try SNS dipping powders and overall I had a really great experience my first time using them.  I wrote a blog post the day I got my nails done so if you want to know all the details about the application you can check out my other post

There is a strange feeling with this polish that if you caught an edge of it, it would take your nail off. IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY DO THAT but it does feel that secure to your nail.  I noticed this feeling originally when I was washing my hair but I did get used to it.  Your nails also feel EXTREMELY strong. This stuff actually feels like armor for your nails; it's pretty cool. 


When I was getting my nails done, I was told that they would be "bump" proof - if something hits them from the top, it won't leave a mark.  I can totally understand that from how solid the polish ended up being.  However, if you are doing a lot of lifting or pulling, the polish can be lifted or broken off of the nail.  A couple days after I got my manicure, I had to help get a boat ready to be taken out of the water for winter.  Other than one tiny (and I mean tiny) chip at the top of my ring finger nail, they handled the long day of work very well.  That chip stayed there for about a week and one night, I noticed the chip had extended down to the side of my nail.  When the piece of polish lifted off, the edge left was pretty sharp unlike when gel polish chips and it feels like normal polish.


My manicure did not last me the two weeks it was supposed to but it lasted pretty close.  When I got towards the end of the two weeks, I had several more chipped nails. I was undecided when I got to the salon if I was going to get SNS again or get a gel manicure.  I ended up getting gel because the nail tech was not trained to do an SNS manicure.  The removal of the SNS manicure was amazing! I wanted to get another one just because the removal was so easy and seemed so much better for your nails than removing gel polish.  The beginning is similar - the polish is filed and you get your acetone witch fingers for about 10 minutes.  Instead of scraping, when they slide the cotton ball off of your finger the polish slides off in one piece with it.  No harsh scrapping, no weird uneven layers, I was shocked. 

I know this post is getting long but I want to throw in just a few final thoughts: 

1. A lot of the color options have some sort of sparkle or outright glitter which I am not always a huge fan of.  I had actually thought that the color I chose didn't have any sparkle and was a little surprised by all the gold flecks staring back at me as you can see in the picture above.

2. This sh*t is strong. If you tap on your nails it sounds similar to tapping on a keyboard which I didn't have a problem with until my polish chipped. The chips were rough to the touch and catch on hair etc.  BUT my nails did not break that entire two weeks. 

3. The removal was amazing and seems so much better for your nails.  The dipping powders are also infused with vitamins that are supposed to be beneficial for your nails.  There is no UV lights used so the whole manicure seems less harmful.

4. If you work with your hands a lot or your hands are constantly in water, this manicure may not be for you.  Apparently the more your hands are submerged, the more likely the polish is to breakdown so gel polish would be a better alternative - a fun fact I learned the day I was getting the SNS removed. 

5. It does cost more than a gel manicure.  I recently got my gel polish removed after over two weeks and it was in almost perfect condition still.  I wish the SNS had stayed at least the two weeks seeing as it was about $10 more.

Would I get an SNS manicure again? Yes.  It looks beautiful and even though there are some cons, as there is with everything in life, a lot of the pros are pretty amazing.

Let me know if you want more posts like this below!

xox Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment