Sunday, April 12, 2015

Procrastination Level: Start a Blog

The semester is ending soon so naturally teachers are all trying to cram in assignments and exams before finals begin.  This week, I have hit that point where you have so much to do that you cannot do anything because all you can focus on is the amount of stuff that needs to be done.  I have been doing a lot of "avoiding life" activities and putting off my tons of work as long as possible - it is not something I recommend but I am one of those people that need the approaching deadline as incentive.

Today's life avoiding tactic was to start a blog.  I typically procrastinate in a way that I can still say that I did something productive with my day.  Examples, I cleaned my entire room, I went grocery shopping, I reorganized my closet, I worked out, etc. I'm going to go ahead and count starting a blog as something productive.  It will also be the gift that keeps on giving - now when I want to procrastinate I can write a couple blog posts and hey look productivity!

Now when you really need to get sh*t done, I do have a couple of tips to help:

1. Sit on the floor or on a wooden chair; the point is to be slightly uncomfortable.  I do a lot of my work in my bed and I also have a very comfy desk chair (my desk is also covered in other things so I can't really do work at it).  When I really need to crack down I typically set myself up on the floor.

2. Write it out and write it out in the order you want to do it.  This tip has a dual purpose: you will map out your day and see what you can and cannot fit into it AND checking off boxes on your to do list will make you feel more productive.  The trick is to only list out things to complete on one day because putting too much can be daunting and you should only be listing priorities.

3. Rewards - reward yourself for completing an item on your list with a break. Watch a couple youtube videos, read a blog post ;), workout, bake, do something you enjoy and give yourself a rest.

4. Give yourself a due date.  Your paper may not be due until Wednesday (totally not pulling that from real life or anything..) but make it your goal to get half of it done on Sunday by a certain time.  Then make plans like dinner with a friend or an appointment so that you actually have to get your work done by your deadline.

5. Go to the library or Starbucks.  Study/work some place besides your room.  I typically only go to the library before finals week because I like to people watch so I get easily distracted when I am there.  I love going to Starbucks because I can just get myself a latte, put my earphones in and crank out some work then get another drink and leave.

6. Sit with your back to everyone when doing work on your computer. Being around strangers (or friends) who can see what you are doing will make you more productive because 1. you don't want them to know your life so you are probably less likely to browse Facebook etc. and 2. pretend that they will notice if your doing work or not - make them believe you are productive.  It is a fake it until you make it sort of concept and you will actually get work done.

Now, I actually do need to be productive so that's all for this post.  Feel free to leave comments below of the tips you use to be more productive!

Xox
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment